If you want to temporarily redirect your Thinkific Home page to another page of choice if your site is not ready yet or you currently have only one course published and would like visitors to be sent directly to your course landing page. Redirecting your Home page is a simple set up within your theme!
In this article:
What does redirecting your home page do?
When you redirect your home page, if a visitor navigates to your Thinkific URL (yoursite.thinkific.com), they will automatically be taken to the redirected page instead. This means your home page will never be visible. If you would like an overview of what redirects are used for, check out: Understanding Home Page Redirects.
How to Redirect Your Home Page
- Go to Design Your Site
- Select Site Builder
- In the left menu, select Home page
- Select Redirect under the Home page heading
- Search or choose your desired page in the dropdown menu (see available options below)
- Once selected, click Save to apply changes
Redirect Page Options
With the home page redirect, you can select your Thinkific URL to be navigated to a range of pages including:
This page is specific to any of your Thinkific products (courses or bundles) at a particular price. When redirecting visitors to a checkout page, they will need to sign in or create a new account. If they are existing students and currently logged in, they will simply need to input payment details.
When redirecting to a checkout page, please be aware of the following:
- Do not select a course that is set as Private. Private courses intentionally have the checkout blocked, so any redirect to a Private course will simply display your course landing page instead.
- Only set up redirects to courses that are published, as unpublished courses will also load the course landing page instead.
- If your course has only one price, the checkout linked will default to the primary price. If you have created additional pricing options, you can select one specific pricing option. If you would prefer visitors view all pricing options before purchase, we recommend redirecting to your course landing page instead.
You can redirect to your course landing page (also called sales page) of a specific course.
You can redirect to your bundle landing page (also called sales page) of a specific bundle.
This can be used for any URL you prefer like an external site for example. You can select the small blue square icon after saving this change to see what the destination URL will be.
You can redirect your home page to any Custom page you have created. In the following example, you can see a page named About Me. Your custom page names will vary from this example and display the custom names you have given them.
When redirecting to a Custom page, please be aware of the following:
- If your custom pages are restricted to only students who are signed in or enrolled in certain products, they will need to sign in before accessing that page.
- Make sure that your custom pages are published to prevent a 404 error.
The All courses page is a default page in Site Builder and will display all courses and bundles. It can be accessed at yoursite.thinkific.com/collections
Sign in page
The Sign in page is a default page in Site Builder where student can login to access their courses. It can be accessed at yoursite.thinkific.com/users/sign_in
Sign up page
The Sign up page is a default page in Site Builder where new students can create an account. It is not common to direct visitors to this page because they are required to create an account when enrolling in any of your courses. We only recommend this option if you specifically want visitors to sign up, but not have access to any courses just yet. It can be accessed at yoursite.thinkific.com/users/sign_up
This is where students can select their course and begin learning immediately. A redirect to the Student Dashboard is often used if you already have an external site and are simply using Thinkific for your learning portal. A student will need to sign in or create a new account before accessing their Student Dashboard. This page can be accessed at yoursite.thinkific.com/enrollments
Testing Your Redirect
Once you have saved your redirect, you will see a redirect icon and the name of the page directly within Site Builder:
We also recommend testing your redirect by visiting your site using an incognito window or different browser where you are not currently logged in!
When a redirect is in place, you will still be able to edit your Home page in Site Builder even though it will not be displayed in the case you would like to use your Home page at a later date.
More About Redirects