Use Thinkific's automated email notifications to keep tabs on important site activity like student sign-ups, course enrolments, or new community posts!
In this article:
Configuring Automated Email Notifications
Site Owners and Site Admins both have access to email notification settings. To access these settings:
- Click on Support Your Students
- Click on Notifications
- Use the Student notifications and Admin notifications tabs to locate the notifications you want to configure
Individual notifications can be turned on and off using the toggle next to the notification's name. These changes will be saved automatically, and will immediately come into effect.
Some notifications also include the ability to Edit or otherwise customize the automatic email: see Customizing Student Emails (below) for more details.
The Admin Notifications tab contains all email notifications that can be sent to a Site Owner or Site Admin. Each user sets their own notification preferences, though the Site Owner's settings also affect whether Course Admins will receive some specific notifications (see below for details.)
Available notifications include:
Sign ups and subscriptions
- New sign up: Receive an email when a student signs up for your site
- New order: Receive an email when a new order occurs
- New lead: Receive an email when a new lead signs up
- Subscription cancelled: Receive an email when a student cancels their subscription
- New posts: Receive an email when someone creates a new post in a community
- Auto-follow new posts: Keep track of new posts and comments as they are created
- Assignment submission: Receive an email when a student submits an assignment.
- New post: Receive an email when someone creates a new discussion post.
- Discussion reply: Receive an email when someone adds a reply to a discussion.
- New review: Receive an email when a student writes or updates a review on your site.
Site Admin Default Notifications
Any newly-created or newly-assigned Site Admins will have all their email notifications turned on by default. Once they log in they will be able to adjust their notification settings, as described above.
Course Admins and Notifications
Course Admins do not have access to their own notification settings. Instead, a Course Admin will receive notifications based on the Site Owner's notification settings. However, they will only receive notifications related to the courses they are associated with, and only for the following events:
- New discussion post: Receive an email when someone creates a new discussion post
- Discussion reply: Receive an email when someone adds a reply to a discussion
- Assignment submission: Receive an email when a student submits an assignment
Student Email Notifications
The Student Notification tab contains a number of automated emails that can be sent to students when specific actions are taken. The following notifications can be turned on for students:
- Site Welcome Email: Send students an email when their account is created.
- Site Welcome Email: Send students an email when their account is created through SSO (Single Sign On)
- Weekly Reminder Email: Gives students a weekly update on their current course progress
- Discussion replies: Send students an email when someone replies to a discussion post they created
- Receipts: Send students a receipt when they make a purchase.
- Course Welcome Email: Send students an email when they enroll in one of your courses
- Bundle Welcome Email: Send students an email when they enroll in one of your bundles
- Course Completion Email: Send students and email when they complete one of your courses
Student Control Over Notifications
Your students can disable some student email notifications, via their account settings. Students can turn off:
- Weekly Reminder Email - gives students a weekly update on their current course progress
- Replies to a discussion they created
For more details on students' control over notifications, read our article: How can students turn off email notifications?
Customizing Student Email Notifications
Some student email notifications can be personalized with your brand and custom messaging! Check those out here: Send Personalized Email Notifications
Learn more about Community notifications and how students can manage their notifications here: Community Notifications
- Site Owner, Site Admin, Course Admin notifications are sent from email@example.com
- Student notifications are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I send emails from my personal custom domain?
For information on sending emails from your personal domain check out Email White Labelling
Why aren't I receiving site notifications?
If you haven't received any notifications yet, check out: Why aren't I receiving any site notifications
Can I send these notifications to someone that is not an admin on my site?
This can be set up with email forwarding! For more info see How can I send site notifications to a non-admin?