You're able to easily duplicate a course from the My Courses page of your Admin Dashboard.
In this article:
How It Works
Copying a course will duplicate most of its attributes - including content, images, settings, and any custom course completion pages. It will also copy over the course landing page, provided you are using one of our Site Builder themes.
Some things to note is that prices are not copied over, and the copy will at first be unpublished. This gives you a chance to make any updates before it appears on your Thinkific site.
What Is Copied
- All course content and structure: chapters, lessons, assignments, file attachments, etc.
- Everything under Course > Settings, including Course Administrators, SEO, etc.
- Any drip schedules set up for the course.
- The course's Landing Page, provided you are using a Site Builder theme.
What Is Not Copied
- Published status: the copy will always be set to Draft.
- Price: the copy will have its price set to Free.
- After-purchase flows are not copied to the new course.
- Completion certificates: you will need to re-assign any certificates to the copy.
- Any on-lesson discussions are not copied to the new course.
Reasons for Copying a Course
Here are some times when the course duplication feature will come in handy:
- Using the same content for multiple courses - Say you're looking to include the same customer feedback survey in all of your courses. Simply create the survey once and then duplicate that course as many times as you need to! This applies to all content types including text lessons, quizzes, etc.
- Using the same structure for multiple courses - If you structure the chapters and lessons of all of your courses in a similar way, save yourself some setup by creating one 'template' course that you can then duplicate whenever you're creating a new course.
- Customizing the course for a particular audience - If you have one group of students, e.g. from a particular company, for who you need to offer specially tailored or branded content, duplicate the course and create them their own version.
- Creating a version of the course with extras - Make a version of the course that includes extra bonus content, such as access to a discussion forum, live coaching, or downloadable content, for an additional price. You can then include that as an upsell on the original course's landing page.
- Running your course in cohorts - If you run your course during a particular time period for a particular group of students, then copying a previous course will have you ready for your next cohort in no time!
How to Duplicate a Course
If you need to make a copy of your course, this is a quick and easy action from your My Courses page!
- Go to Manage Learning Content
- Select Courses
- Locate your desired course and click the ellipses (3 dot icon)
- Click Duplicate
- Your course will be queued for duplication and you'll need to refresh the My Courses page for the copy of your course to appear
- Once refreshing, you'll see the duplicated course with 'Copy of' in the name
- And that's it!
Rename Your Course
You can see how to rename your new course and update your course URL as desired here:\
If you are making a duplicate of a course you have already duplicated, make sure to rename the course before trying to duplicate it again. If the original course already includes copy-of in the name, the system will not be able to successfully complete the duplication.