Zapier is a tool that allows you to connect applications that aren't in our App Store, or expand the possibilities of your existing apps and integrations! If you are looking to tag users in your email marketing solution based on actions in Thinkific, enroll students who purchase outside of Thinkific and more, Zapier will help!
In this article:
What is Zapier?
Zapier is a tool for creating automations between different web applications. By automating otherwise manual tasks, it makes your life easier and creates time for more productive pursuits. Zapier is a great alternative when a direct integration is not available - Zapier can also expand the functionality of an existing integrations.
You can select from 1,500+ Apps to connect with one another.
Zapier is a third-party platform that you need to sign up for and purchase separately from Thinkific. Click here to check out their plans and pricing options.
Zapier is a great solution when there's no existing app for the tool you're using. But if you haven't, make sure to check out the Thinkific App Store — the app you want may already be supported directly!
What are Zaps?
A Zap is the name given to a connected action within Zapier. Each Zap is broken down into Triggers and Actions.
A Trigger is the first step of an event, which then sends information to the Action app. If you have trouble remembering which is which, then think of it as "if trigger … then…action"
- Save Gmail emails matching certain traits to a Google Sheet
Action: Google Sheet
- Create a Google calendar event after submitting a Typeform questionnaire
Action: Google Calendar
- Share new Facebook Page posts in Slack
Triggers and Actions can be multidirectional depending on which application is sending and receiving information. For example Gmail and Google sheets can both be used for similar, but different actions:
Thinkific has a range of different Triggers, Actions, and Search that any Zap can contain.
You can use triggers to send information out of Thinkific and into another app. This works well for automating tasks as a result of events on your Thinkific site.
We support the following Thinkific Triggers:
- New Order: Fires when a student places an order for a course, community, or bundle. Free courses do not generate an order if you are using our two-page checkout however if you have opted into our single-page checkout, free courses will generate an order. If the order has a 100%-off coupon code applied, it still counts as an order (this applies to both checkouts).
- New Free Preview Enrollment: Fires when a student enrolls in the free preview of a course. Free trials are differentiated from full enrollments.
- New Full Enrollment: Fires when a student enrolls (or is manually enrolled) in the full version of a course. This excludes instances where a student is enrolled in Course Bundles.
- Course Completed: Fires when a student completes their course by reaching 100% progress.
- New User: Fires when a student signs up for a user account on your Thinkific site. This will fire regardless of whether the user also enrolls in a course.
- Lesson Completed: Fires when a student completes a lesson (either a specific lesson or a percentage of lessons) in a particular course.
- Subscription Cancelled: Fires when a student cancels an active subscription to a course or bundle.
Examples of Uses for Thinkific Triggers:
- Add users to a specific mailing list when they sign up for your course using an Action app like AWeber, GetResponse, or MailChimp.
- Update your CRM records when a user completes the course using an Action app like Capsule, HubSpot, Salesforce, or Zoho.
- Add student data to a spreadsheet using Action apps like Smartsheet or Google Sheets.
- Send a push notification to your phone when you receive a new order.
Actions are available on our Grow plan and higher. They allow you to send information in as well as out.
The following Thinkific Actions are supported:
- Enroll User: Create a student and enroll them in a specific course or bundle.
- Unenroll User: End a student's enrollment in a specific course or bundle immediately or at a future date.
Examples of Uses for Thinkific Actions:
- Create your sales funnel using external sales and checkout pages with a Trigger app like Ontraport, ClickFunnels, or Marketo.
- Charge varying tax rates, depending on your customer’s location using a Trigger app like Quaderno or Taxamo.
- Take payment for multiple products at once using a shopping cart app like SamCart or Shopify.
- Use a payment gateway other than Stripe or PayPal using a Trigger app like Alipay, Apple pay, or Braintree.
- Unenroll a user upon completion of the course.
- Update users:
In the case that the student already exists in Thinkific, Enroll User will update the existing student. The existing student can be enrolled in a new course or bundle, or their information can be updated (first name, last name), or an expiry date can be added to an existing enrollment. Adding an expiry date of the current day to an existing enrollment is how you can end a student’s enrollment. In addition, it can create a new student without any enrollments if no course or bundle is specified.
Besides Triggers and Actions, you can also use search as an intermediary step in your Zaps:
- Search User: Search for users in Thinkific by ID or email.
- Note: Search will return information on custom fields and students in Thinkific.
Examples of Uses for Thinkific Search:
- Send Group-specific emails when a student enrolls and is a member of a Group
- Update the contact in your CRM when a student enters information into a custom field (eg. location, interest)
Custom fields can’t be sent to Thinkific, but custom fields can be sent out of Thinkific to another application when a student signs up. As this is only available on initial sign up, this applies to the New User trigger only.
Explore Using Zapier and Thinkific
Zapier provides all the information you need to explore your options! You can get started with:
- Pre-Made Zaps Click an app that you want to connect to Thinkific. Zapier's on-screen instructions will walk you through the rest of the process!
- App Directory
- Zapier Knowledge Base