Quiz lessons are a great way for you to test and track your student's understanding of your course content.
In this article:
About This Feature
It's been proven that testing your knowledge immediately after learning a new concept can help improve your ability to recall the information at a later time. This is important if you want to ensure that your students are receiving lasting value from your courses.
Quiz lessons will allow your students to test their knowledge throughout your course, while also providing you with the ability to export and review the results later!
How It Works
Quiz lessons within Thinkific allow you to create multiple-choice questions for your students. If you choose to, you can also include multiple correct answers within a single question.
- One answer - Allows the student to select one option as an answer
- One or more answers - Allows the student to select several correct answers and they must select all correct answers to receive a passing mark
To make your questions and answers engaging, you can also use the WYSIWYG text editor to insert a video, embed an image, or audio file within the questions and answers themselves. See Combine Videos and Text in the Same Lesson for more tips on including mixed content within lessons.
We generally suggest including a quiz lesson at the end of a chapter, which will test students on the key takeaways within that chapter. If you want your students to complete the quiz before moving on to the next chapter within your course, you can set it as a prerequisite lesson.
- If you're more comfortable with filling out and uploading a spreadsheet that contains your questions and answers, this is an option! See Importing Quiz Questions for more details on how.
- Once your students have completed your quiz, you have the ability to export their results. For steps on how to do this, see Quiz & Survey Export.
How to Create a Quiz Lesson
- Go to Manage Learning Content
- Select Courses
- Click on a specific course in the Course Overview to open the Course Builder
- From the Curriculum tab, select the Add Lesson button under your desired chapter on the left-hand side
- Select Quiz from the lesson types displayed
- Enter a title for your quiz
- Within the question type dropdown, select whether your first question will have one correct answer or one or more correct answers
- Enter your question within the Question field
Within these fields, you can also choose to use the WYSIWYG editor to include video, images, and audio, among other editing options.
- Under Choice 1, enter the first option the student will see
- Check or uncheck the box below Choice 1 to determine whether this is the/a correct answer
- Following steps 9 and 10, continue to add multiple choices for the answer
If you need to create an additional choice, you can select the add choice button below the last answer. You can also select the trash icon in the right-hand corner of an answer if you want to delete it.
- Optional: Enter the correct details within the explanation field
The explanation field can be used to provide students with information immediately after they submit their answers. This explanation will be displayed regardless of whether they get the question right or wrong. However, if a passing grade is required for the quiz, you have the option to enable or disable the display of question explanations under Lesson Settings.
- Following the previous steps, continue to add additional questions and answers.
Within the upper right-hand corner of the question, you can use the duplicate button to quickly recreate existing questions, or click on the ellipsis (3 dot icon) to delete questions.
You can also use the reorder icon in the upper left-hand corner of each question to drag and adjust the order in which the student will receive them.
- Adjust your Lesson Settings as needed
- Select the Save button in the bottom right-hand corner
Setting a Passing Grade Requirement
If you want to ensure students are acing your quizzes, you can choose to require a passing grade!
When this is enabled, students will not be able to reach 100% completion of your course unless they have successfully passed all quizzes where a passing grade is required.
For further info and for steps on how to enable this, see: Requiring a Passing Grade within a Quiz
If you're not concerned about students passing your quiz, but you want to ensure that they take it, you can choose to set the quiz lesson as a prerequisite. A prerequisite lesson will need to be completed before they can move on to the next chapter within your course.
Randomized Question Bank
We also offer the ability to have a Randomized Question Bank for your quiz lessons!
You can add as many questions as you want within a specific quiz "bank", then select how many questions should appear when a student takes the quiz. The system will then randomly generate a unique quiz for each student. Read more about Randomized Question Banks.
Frequently Asked Questions
I need more advanced quizzing options. What can I do?
While it is only possible at this time to use multiple-choice questions within Thinkfific quizzes, the following options may also be good solutions:
Can I include a video within a quiz question or answer?
Yes! It's definitely possible to add this type of content to your quizzes. See Combine Videos and Text in the Same Lesson for more details on adding a mix of content within your lessons.
Can I limit retake attempts?
We don't currently have the option to limit retakes. If you are looking for some alternative options, check out: Can I turn off the ability for students to retake a quiz?
More About Quiz Lessons