Add custom fields to your sign up page to request additional details from your students when they sign up!
Custom Fields are additional fields you can request in your sign up form to collect unique information about your users. Instead of asking for only the standard name and email, you can add fields for anything from phone, company name, city, to Twitter handle!
In this article:
How to Add Custom Fields
- Go to Settings
- Select the Orders & accounts tab
- Click Custom sign up fields on the left
- Click Add field
- Under Custom field name, input the name of your custom field
- Under Field type, select Text or Country
- Click Save
And that's it! You now have custom fields. To view the fields you have created, you can retrieve the data from your user export.
When creating your custom field, you can choose from the following field types:
- Text - this is a free text field that allows students to input their own details
- Country - this will automatically populate a drop down list of all countries in alphabetical order
If there are any other field types you'd like to see, please send us a feature request.
Setting a Prioritized Country
If you're using the Country field type but have the majority of your students in a specific area, you can set a prioritized country which will show at the top of the drop down list.
On your sign up page, it will appear like below to your students:
If you've created your custom fields and want to change the order that they display on your sign up page, you can re-order the fields using the dots on the left of each field.
Re-ordering the custom fields does not change any of the existing data in the fields and simply allows you to determine the order that the fields show on the student sign up and on their account profile. It is not possible to re-order custom fields to appear above the default fields (first name, last name, email address) on the sign up page.
- You can add up to a maximum of 4 custom fields. If you require more fields, please send us an email with your requirements.
- We don't recommend adding too many custom fields as it can affect your sign up conversion rates. Generally speaking, you want to limit the amount of time a student spends on sign up and checkout pages.
- Be careful when deleting custom fields. If they have been used by students, deleting the field, will delete the data. Make sure to export your data before removing any existing fields.