In this article, you'll look at the ways in which new users can be created on your Thinkific site.
In this article:
There are a few ways a new user account can be created on your site:
- A student can create their own account while enrolling in a learning product
- As the Site Owner or Site Admin, you can manually create a new user
- A user can sign up from your Create a New Account page
In scenarios 1 and 3, the user creates their own account either by following a sign-up flow (scenario 1), or by creating an account with no enrollments (scenario 3).
In the 2nd scenario, the Site Owner or Site admin creates the student account manually. This can be done either on an individual, case-by-case basis, or in bulk.
Continue reading below to learn more about each of the ways to create a new user.
Create an Account by Enrolling in a Course
The simplest and most common way for an account to be created is while the student is enrolling in a learning product - students are required to create an account in order to enroll in any products.
When a student clicks the Buy or Enroll button on your product landing page, they will be prompted to create an account and complete the checkout to enroll in your learning product.
Make sure your course, community, or bundle is published and priced to allow your students to enroll!
Manually Create a New User
If you are the Site Owner or a Site Admin, you will have the option to manually create a new user. This option is a great alternative to having your student create their own account if you would like to provide a student with free access to a paid or private course.
While creating a new user, you will also have the option to Assign a User Role. For more information on user roles, skip to the last section in this article.
To Manually Create a New User:
- Go to Support Your Students
- Select Users
- Click + New User on the top right
- Fill out First name, Last name, Email address
Don't worry about filling out the External source and Company text spaces. External source is a field that is automatically filled out with some integrations like Infusionsoft, and Company is a deprecated field. If needed, we recommend using Custom Fields instead.
- Fill out any Custom Fields if needed
- Under Password, select User chooses their own password or Manually set user password.
If you select User chooses their own password, make sure to enable Send site welcome email in the next step
- (Optional) Under Notifications, enable Send site welcome email. Your Site Welcome Email will prompt a new user to create their own password. We recommend leaving this on if you selected User chooses their own password in step 6.
Steps 9 through 11 are optional and will be available based on your current Thinkific plan. Click the feature linked in each step to learn more!
- (Optional) Under Enrollments, enroll your new user into desired courses
- (Optional) Under Groups, add user to one or more Groups
- (Optional) Under User roles, assign a user to a role. If no role is selected, they will have a student account
- Click Save on the top right.
You can click Save & Add Another if you need to create multiple new accounts!
Sign Up Using the Create a New Account Page
New users can also create their own accounts by using your Create a new account page. This page can be accessed by clicking Create a new account at the bottom of your site sign in page.
You can access this page directly at yoursite.thinkific.com/users/sign_up - simply replace yoursite.thinkific.com in the previous example URL with your Thinkific URL!
This method of sign up is not common because an account will be created without any enrollments. This means your new user will be able to login, but not have access to any of your learning products yet.
If can be helpful to use this option if you would like new users to sign up on their own and then later assign a specific user role.
Assigning User Roles
As mentioned above, when creating new users, you will have the option to assign user roles to these users - or if you've already created new accounts and want to assign roles at a later date, you can assign user roles to existing accounts.
To learn more about what user roles are available and how to assign them, check out our article Site Owner and User Roles.