Check out the different user roles in Thinkific, which have different levels of access and functionality!
All plans have unlimited Students. Unlimited Affiliates are available on paid plans. The number of Site Admins, Course Admins, Group Analysts and Revenue Partners vary per plan. Take a look at our Plan Comparison page for more details.
In this article:
The Site Owner has the highest level of permissions within your Thinkific account. They will have access to all functionality available on the account and have the ability to transfer account ownership if needed. There is only one Site Owner per Thinkific account. The Site Owner user account is also always assigned as a Site Admin. In order to maintain access to your account, make sure that you have access to the email address associated with the Site Owner.
A Site Admin has all the same level of permissions as a Site Owner with some exceptions:
- They cannot transfer account ownership. This means they cannot edit the Site Owner's email address or password details.
- They cannot set up a payment integration.
Course Admins have limited access in your Thinkific account. They can:
Create new courses
Create new instructors
Edit existing courses to which they are assigned as Course Admin
View student progress for courses to which they are assigned as Course Admin
See our article on Course Admins for a detailed breakdown on working with Course Admins.
Group Analysts have limited access in your Thinkific account. They can:
View and export student progress for assigned groups
View student names and emails for assigned groups
See HERE for a detailed breakdown on working with Group Analysts.
An Affiliate can earn percentage or dollar commissions for promoting your courses! They will have access to basic account settings like a Student as well as an Affiliate Dashboard which includes:
- General Affiliate Information (includes commission rate)
- Affiliates links
- Financial Reports (commission breakdown)
- Settings (Payout email address)
You can see more details on Affiliates here:
- How to Use Affiliates
- An Introduction the Affiliate Menu (For Affiliates)
- Managing Affiliate Payouts
Revenue Partners also known as Product Payees allow you to share a percentage of your earnings with a third party. Revenue Partners do not have any custom details available in their account and have access to basic account settings like Student accounts. See HERE for details on using this feature.
Students have access to:
- Student Dashboard (where they can see/access all courses they are enrolled in)
- Course Player (where they view course content)
- My Account basic settings which include:
- Profile (Name, email, Custom Fields, timezone)
- Certificates (Pro plan and higher)
- Notifications (Enable/disable Weekly Reminder and Discussion reply emails)
- Billing (Credit card and subscription details)
- Order History
See more details on the Student Experience HERE.
The Community Moderator role can be assigned to users within your community to allow them to help moderator your community and spaces. Along with the permissions assigned to their existing user role, moderators are granted additional permissions within the community, including:
- The ability to follow, pin, edit, and delete comments and posts within the community.
- Moderators can also receive email notifications from community activity
Moderators are easily identified within the community by a Moderator badge (visible beside their name in both their profile, and on their posts and comments within the community).
Learn more about the Community Moderator Role.
If you have hired an external agency, freelancer, or developer to help build out your Thinkific site, we want to ensure that you have control over their access.
Using our Partner Portal, Partners can request access to your Thinkific site, allowing you to approve or deny external requests. Once a Partner is approved, they will be assigned a Partner role. This provides a safe and efficient way to work with external partners, without needing to share your login credentials.
Learn more about External Partners HERE.
Assigning a User Role
The Site Owner and Site Admins can assign user Roles. You can assign a role while creating a new user or after they already exist in Thinkific.
Learn how to assign roles here: How to Assign a User Role