Categories allow you to create subsections on your school's All Products page, making it easier to find similar products.
In this article:
About This Feature
You can create categories that allow you to group several products together when they have a common theme. Categories can help students easily access and purchase one-off products relating to that category.
Here is an example category section in Site Builder:
Then each category page maps to the category section, like this:
Categories are only displayed to visitors if you have at least two published products. You can still set up categories in advance of having two published products.
- In your Admin Dashboard, click Design Your Site
- Select Categories
- Type your new category name in the Name field at the top of the list
- Once you have typed the name, click on the URL field to populate a default URL
- Optional: Enter a custom URL if desired
- Click Add Category
Adding a Category Image
- From the Categories list, click on the Edit button next to the category whose image you want to add
- Find the Category image section and click Upload
- Select the image file you want to upload; in order for the image to display without any distortion, it will need to be a 16:9 ratio; we recommend an image that is 355px wide by 200px high
Removing a Category
- From the Categories list, click on the ellipses icon next to the category you want to delete
- Select Delete and click OK to confirm you want to delete the category
Deleting a category does not delete the products that have been included in the category.
Adding Products to a Category
- From the Categories list, click the Edit button next to the category you want to add products to
- Find the Manage products in this category section, and use the drop-down menu to select the products you want to add
- Click the Add button
Removing a Product From a Category
To remove a product from a category, navigate to the Manage products in this category section and click the Trash can next to the product you want to remove.
Frequently Asked Questions
What order will my Categories appear in? How about the products within each category?
Your categories will appear in alphabetical order on the All Products page. The order of the products within each category is based on the Order of Your Products.
I added a product to my category, but it isn't showing up on the All Products page?
Your product may not be published, or you may have set it to Hidden or Private. Hidden products will not appear on your All Products page, even if you have added them to a category.
Why am I seeing an All Courses category, instead of All Products category?
If you created your site before September 27, 2022, you will have a default category called All Courses, with the URL yoursite.thinkific.com/collections/courses. You can modify the category's name if you'd like to!
Accounts created after September 27, 2022 will have an All Products default category, with the URL yoursite.thinkific.com/collections/products.