For schools with more than a few courses, categories allow you to create subsections on your school's All courses page, making it easier to find similar classes.
In this article:
About This Feature
You can create categories which allow you to group several courses together when they have a common theme. Categories can help students easily access and purchase one-off courses or bundles relating to that category.
Here is an example category section in Site Builder:
Then each category page maps to the category section, like this:
Categories are only displayed to visitors to your course site if you have at least two published courses. You can still set up categories in advance of having two published courses.
- In your Admin Dashboard, click Manage Learning Content
- Select Categories
- Type your new category name in the Name field at the top of the list
- Once you have typed the name, click on the URL field to populate a default URL
- Optional: Enter a custom URL if desired
- Click Add Category
Adding a Category Image
- From the Categories list, click on the Edit button next to the category whose image you want to add
- Find the Category image section and click Upload
- Select the image file you want to upload; in order for the image to display without any distortion, it will need to be a 16:9 ratio; we recommend an image that is 355px wide by 200px high
Removing a Category
- From the Categories list, click on the ellipses icon next to the category you want to delete
- Select Delete and click OK to confirm you want to delete the category
Deleting a category does not delete the courses or bundles that have been included in the category.
Adding Courses to a Category
From the Categories list, click the Edit button next to the category you want to add courses or bundles to
Find the Manage courses or bundles in this category section, and use the drop-down menu to select the course or bundle you want to add
Click the Add button
Removing a Course From a Category
To remove a course from a category, navigate to the Manage courses or bundles in this category section and click the Trash can next to the course or bundle you want to remove.
That's it, you're done! You can view your categories on your school by visiting: YourSite.thinkific.com/collections
Frequently Asked Questions
What order will my Categories appear in? How about the courses within each category?
Your Categories will appear in alphabetical order on the All Courses page. The order of the courses within each category is based on the Order of Your Courses and Bundles.
I added a course to my category, but it isn't showing up on the All Courses page?
Your course may not be published, or you may have set it to Hidden or Private. Hidden courses will not appear on your All Courses page, even if you have added them to a category.