Use the full-width video section to display a video of your choice.
In this article:
About This Section
The video section allows you to embed a video on your page, and includes a full-width background image to catch the eye and direct attention to your most engaging content. It can include some text, but ultimately it is about the visuals; a prominent play button launches the video in-browser, making it easy for visitors to return to the page after watching.
Videos are high-engagement content, and are often the best way of giving prospective students a taste of your courses and teaching style — if you have a relevant video, you want to make sure it is front and center, where it can capture attention and drive course sales.
Where to Use This Section
Videos are versatile, and so this section can be used in a lot of places, provided you have appropriate content at the ready. Include a preview video or lesson highlight on a course or bundle landing page, or highlight a great marketing video on your home page. Instructor profiles, student testimonials, TED talks — if you've got it, use it!
The video section isn't the only way to deploy your video content: videos can also be included in a Text & Media section if you want more control over the surrounding section.
Adding a Video Section
- From your Admin Dashboard, select Design Your Site
- In Site Pages, select the page where you want to add the section
- Click the pencil icon to edit this page in Site Builder
- Click Add section and select Video from the list:
Optional: Rearrange the position of the new section, if necessary
- Click on Video to open the section settings
- Open the Headings card to add a title or description
- Open the Video card and select the video you want to use (you can include a youtube video or a video from your video library)
Optional: Customize the section as required (see below for options)
- Click Save to apply your changes
Headings: The heading is the title for the entire section, and the subheading appears directly below or above the heading (depending on your Theme.) Use the text color override if you need to make sure that your text is readable against the background.
Video: You can either select a video from your Thinkific video library, or use a video from YouTube.
Background image: Upload an image to use as the background for the section. You can adjust the image focal point to make sure the focus stays on the right part of the image when it gets cropped for smaller screens or mobile devices. Use the Overlay color and Overlay opacity settings to place an overlay over your image, as necessary.
Size & alignment: Height controls how much vertical space the section takes up on your page, and relates to the background image/section only. It will not affect the size of the video. Alignment sets the alignment for the heading, subheading and play button.
- Videos cannot be uploaded directly to this section in Site Builder. If you want to upload a video, make sure to first upload it to your Video Library. It will then be available from the dropdown menu in this section.
- The video section does not automatically use any thumbnails you have set up for your video, but you can always upload the same thumbnail image as the background image for the section.
- The video itself will play in an overlay/modal display, and is not affected by any of the visual settings of the video section.
For in-depth examples of our different Themes and Styles in action, check out our Theme Demo Site. Use the buttons along the bottom of the page to browse all the different possibilities!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any way to make the video smaller, or stop it from playing in a pop-up?
No. The video section is always a full-width section, and the video player settings cannot be customized. If you want more control over exactly how the video looks and plays, we suggest using a Text & Media section, which can allow you embed a video as part of a more complex and customizable layout.