Analyze student actions on your course site by installing Mixpanel!
In this article:
About This App
Mixpanel is an analytics platform that can be used to track user interactions with web and mobile applications. It helps you analyze different actions that visitors perform on your site which could range from playing a video to clicking a button on your course landing page!
Mixpanel collects granular data to help you analyze specific actions. Analyzing actions on your page can give you a better understanding of what student behavior looks like on your site. For example, you can see what students click on, how long it takes to purchase a course, and more. A better understanding of your student behavior can help you build a better student experience.
What can Mixpanel do?
Mixpanel has a ton of features and as a course creator, here are a few you might want to take advantage of!
Flows: Using Flows, you can see paths that end in a cancellation, downgrade, deletion, or however you define "churn” for your business. You can also see the path typically taken by students who do not end up enrolling in a course to analyze potential blockers affecting your conversion.
Insights: Insights allows you to analyze your student data as a current snapshot or as a trend over time. When you have multiple courses, insights reports help you understand how students are engaging with your content.
User Profiles: User profiles reveal the most recent information about a user. It allows you to analyze how an individual student performs to get a better sense of how they interact with your course content over a period of time.
Funnels: Funnels are used to calculate your conversion rates. Funnels have various steps so you can identify where users drop off in your funnel. You can also create cohorts to see how particular groups of students convert.
How to Install Mixpanel
- If you don’t already have a Mixpanel account, visit their registration page to sign up
- After signing up for a Mixpanel account, you will see the Get Started page
- Click on the gear icon in the top right of the screen and choose My new project
- Scroll down until you see Access Keys and copy the Project Token
- Locate Mixpanel in the Thinkific App Store
- Select Install from the App's detail page; you may be prompted to log in to your Thinkific site if this is the first time you are installing an app
- This will take you to the Mixpanel app details page in Thinkific
- Under Credentials, paste the Project token into the Mixpanel token field
- Click Save
To test that the installation is working, you can head to your Thinkific site and click on any link. Then, head back to your Mixpanel window, select Data Management in the top right menu, then Live View.
You should see that the event(s) have come through to your Mixpanel dashboard from the Live View page.
- Note that you may see "We don't have any data!" with a prompt to set up Mixpanel at the top of your screen - this message will disappear once you or a student has interacted with your site/course.
- If you are testing on your own and still do not see any data, make sure that you do not currently have "Do Not Track" settings on in your browser settings.
- Thinkific users are not imported into Mixpanel. Once it is installed, users are added to Mixpanel after they have triggered a Mixpanel event.
Information Thinkific Sends to Mixpanel
- tenant, subdomain,
- Is Paying,
|This occurs only once upon signup
|Course Landing Page
|Occurs when a student lands on a course landing page
|Buy Course Btn Clicked
|Occurs when the student clicks the buy button on a course landing page
|Enter Credit Card
|This occurs when the student lands on the credit card form on the checkout
|Bundle Landing Page
|This occurs when the student lands on a bundle landing page
|Buy Bundle Btn Clicked
|Occurs when the student clicks the buy button on a bundle landing page
|New Order Page
|Occurs when the student begins the checkout process
|Purchase Complete Page
|Occurs after the student has completed a purchase
Course Player Events
|Occurs when the student enters an Audio content type
|Viewed Brillium Exam
|Occurs when the student enters a Brillium exam content type
|Occurs when the student enters a Disqus content type
|Occurs when the student enters a Download content type
|Viewed Html Item
|Occurs when the student enters an Html content type
|Occurs when the student enters an IFrame content type (note: this content type is more commonly referred to as ‘multimedia’)
|Occurs when the student enters a video content type
|Occurs when the student enters a PDF content type
|Occurs when the student enters a presentation content type
|Quiz Start Page
|Occurs when the student starts a Quiz content type
|Survey Start Page
|Occurs when the student starts a Survey content type
|Occurs when the student views their enrollment details
We also track the page views for all pages. Event Properties include:
If you are using our Affiliates feature, it's also possible to track how often your Affiliate links are being used in Mixpanel. Once you've set up your Mixpanel account, you can find the number of clicks each Affiliate is generating, and for which pages.
- Click the Data Management icon on the navigation bar at the top of the screen
- Click Live View
- Search by Affiliate code
Looking for more apps? We're adding new apps to the platform every day. Check out the Thinkific App Store!