Install Google Analytics 4 to track and collect data to better understand the customer journey.
Google will no longer be processing data with standard Universal Analytics starting July 1, 2023. If you still rely on Universal Analytics, we recommend that you prepare to use Google Analytics 4 by installing the Google Analytics 4 app. The Universal Analytics app will no longer be downloadable from our app store.
In this article:
About This Feature
Google Analytics 4 (GA4) is the next-generation analytics tool to Google's Universal Analytics (UA). Google Analytic's main purpose is to track and store data about how your users interact with your site, using “privacy-first” tracking, x-channel measurement, and AI-based predictive data.
Using this data, Google Analytics can generate reports about your website to help you:
- Measure traffic and engagement across your websites and apps
- Optimize your marketing decisions and ROIs
- View your user journey – from the first visit to the final click
Key Features of Google Analytics 4
- Built with Google's Machine Learning to automatically uncover insights from your data that will improve marketing performance.
- Provides a more complete understanding of your full customer lifecycle, from acquisition to retention, by bringing together data from web and app at scale.
- Built to be durable and future-proof by scaling with your business. It will work with or without cookies, and will take advantage of modeling so that you can learn about your customers with gaps in your data.
Learn more about Google Analytics 4's reporting and exploration capabilities.
- You will need to switch to the Two-Step Checkout to enable Google Analytics.
- Google Analytics 4 is an analytics tool meant to help you track page and site views, however, it does not track e-commerce. If you're looking to track purchases or ecommerce, you'll need to integrate with Google Tag Manager using the Two-Step Checkout.
- It can take 24-48 hours for data to sync between Google Analytics 4 and your Thinkific site.
How to Set Up a Google Analytics 4 Property
Do this if you’re new to Analytics and ready to collect data for your website and/or app.
Option 2: Add Google Analytics 4 to a site with Universal Analytics (Analytics “classic”)
The GA4 Setup Assistant will add a Google Analytics 4 property alongside your existing Universal Analytics property. Your Universal Analytics property will continue to collect data. You can access both using the property selector in the Admin area. Please keep in mind that Universal Analytics will be retired starting July 1, 2023.
How to Integrate Google Analytics 4 with Thinkific
If you are not already, make sure you are using the Two-Step Checkout to enable Google Analytics.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between UA and GA4?
There are many notable differences between UA and GA4. Check out Google’s Help Center articles on Comparing metrics: Google Analytics 4 vs Universal Analytics and Universal Analytics versus Google Analytics 4 data for an in-depth overview.
Can I wait until UA is deprecated before switching to GA4?
Yes, you can wait until UA is deprecated on July 1, 2023, before switching to GA4 however, we strongly encourage you to make the switch to Google Analytics 4 as soon as possible. Switching to GA4 early on will allow you to build the necessary historical data and usage in the new experience and prepare you for continuity once Universal Analytics is no longer available.
Learn more about UA’s deprecation timeline
Do I need to uninstall the UA app to use GA4?
No, you don't need to uninstall the UA app to use GA4, as they are separate apps.
What happens to the data I have in UA? Will that switch over to GA4?
Google Analytics does not support the migration of historical data when switching from UA to GA4 as they use different data models. Google recommends exporting data from your Universal Analytics property and intends to offer more guidance on data export as Universal Analytics becomes no longer available.
Are purchases through the Thinkific Checkout tracked?
No, purchases through Thinkific Checkouts are not tracked. Our Google Analytics 4 integration tracks page views and does not track e-commerce. Please integrate with Google Tag Manager if you're looking to track e-commerce purchases.