If you have integrated with Stripe and need to remove Thinkific access temporarily, you can do this right within your Stripe dashboard.
In this article:
Before Getting Started
Revoking access to Thinkific will immediately stop all course payments made through Stripe. If you plan on reconnecting the same Stripe account, you'll need to make sure to connect right away to ensure students can still purchase your courses.
This article covers revoking access and then immediately reconnecting the same Stripe account. You'll need to make sure to follow these steps in this specific order to limit any downtime. Please have a read through this entire article before starting the process.
Step 1: Login to Thinkific as the Site Owner
Stripe settings can only be changed by the Site Owner. Site Admin cannot take any action on payment integrations. Make sure you are logged into Thinkific as the Site Owner specifically.
When you are logged in, you can double check that you have logged in with the correct Site Owner email address by:
- Go to Support Your Students
- Select Users
- Search for the email you used to login
- Scroll to right until you can see the Roles heading
- If you see Site owner, you have used the correct email address
Step 2: Navigate to Your Payment Settings in Thinkific, and Check Your Current Stripe Email Address
Next, you'll want to navigate to your Payments Settings in Thinkific. Do not take any action yet. You'll simply want to go to this page and reference your current Stripe email address:
- Go to Settings
- Click on the Payments tab
- Locate the Stripe block and double check what Stripe email address is associated with your account. You will need to use this email address to login to Stripe.
- Make sure to keep this tab open in your browser as you will need to return to it
Step 3: Login to Stripe
Stripe has 2 factor authentication. Before continuing, make sure you have your phone available to receive a Stripe verification code in order to login.
- Open a new tab in your browser. Make sure that you still have the Thinkific Payment Settings section open in another tab.
- Go to https://dashboard.stripe.com/login
- Using the email address from Step 2 (the email displayed in your Stripe settings within Thinkific), input your email address and password
- You will then be prompted to enter a verification code
- Check your phone for your verification code to complete login
Step 4: Revoke Thinkific Access in Stripe
Before completing this step, make sure you still have the Thinkific integration page open in another tab in your browser as you will need to return to that tab as quickly as possible after revoking.
- Go to https://dashboard.stripe.com/account/applications
- Under Authorized Applications, locate Thinkific
- Select Revoke access
- In the popup, click Revoke
- Once Thinkific access has been revoked, you will see this confirmation message
Step 5: Reconnect Stripe From Your Thinkific Integrations Page
Now that you have revoked access in Stripe, you can reconnect Stripe in Thinkific.
- Go back to the Payments Settings page in your Thinkific site. This should still be open in another tab in your browser.
- In the Stripe block, click Connect Account. If you do not see this option, refresh the page.
- A new tab will open in your browser confirming you would like to connect. Make sure the email address on the top right is the same as Step 2.
- Click Connect
- You'll then be returned to Thinkific where you can see your connected account.
Step 6: Change Your Currency If Required
If you require a currency other than USD, make sure to change that now.
- Click the dropdown menu under Currency
- Start typing or scroll to locate your desired currency
- Click Save
And that's it!
Frequently Asked Questions
Will this impact my existing one-time payments, payment plans, or subscriptions?
As long as you reconnect the same Stripe account, your payments will not be impacted. One-time payments will work as expected going forward. Active payment plans and subscriptions will simply continue from where they left off.
That said, this is why it is extremely important to reconnect your Stripe account as fast as possible to limit any possible purchasing downtime. If a student attempts to purchase while you are temporarily disconnected, they will see an error and need to try again once they are reconnected.