When using Zapier, you can add user details to all your existing Thinkific triggers using Search. Search is a powerful way for you to get detailed user information on demand in your Zaps.
Search works especially well with all of your existing Thinkific triggers. Add it as a secondary step to any Thinkific trigger to include information such as Custom Fields or Groups that you set up in Thinkific.
Note that this creates a 3 step zap, which requires a paid Zapier account.
How it works
Using a student's email address you can create an intermediary zap that searches and collects more detailed user information about the user that has triggered that zap and include it in your Actions.
Why use search?
Search can be used in a variety of different circumstances and are most useful when connected to other Thinkific Triggers!
It’s very powerful when setting up zaps with your Email Marketing & CRM tools to give you full access to Student and course information to continue to build verbose marketing campaigns for your users.
As another example, say that you have created a custom field in order to get your users to identify their current level of experience with your course topic. You can use this trigger and search zap to easily segment your user into different lists based on the course that they have purchased, while at the same time tagging and grouping them together based on their relative experience. This puts you in a great situation to create extremely customized marketing content and send it out to the perfect contact.
Setting it up
In this example, we are going to set up a Thinkific Trigger to send Course details (course name) and user information (User name and custom field) to Slack to receive a message anytime a student orders my course.
- Select your favorite Thinkific trigger and set it up to track your user events. Search Users works with all existing Thinkific Triggers, so pick the event that will get you the information that you need about your students.
- When selecting your Action select Thinkific again and select the Search Users option in the Search section (beneath all the Actions). Select this and then press Continue.
- This Search Users zap accepts either an email address or Thinkific User ID value and returns the corresponding users information:
- Next, complete your zap with your preferred action, in this example, we are connecting it to Slack. Now when you open the field drop down you will see two data sets to select from! Selecting the first will give you access to the data from your initial trigger while the second will give you your detailed student information.
- Using the data from both the Order and the User, build your Action to be customized for your use case. In Slack, we will send a new message with the order and user details.
- Test your Zap to confirm that it is working, Upon testing this slack zap you should receive a message in your inbox!
- Finally, name your zap and turn it on and you are ready to go!