If you have made changes to your subscription pricing and need to update the price for currently subscribed students, you have 3 options:
- Student Cancel and Re-register
- Manually End Enrollment and Cancel Subscription in Stripe
- Manually Edit the Existing Subscription in Stripe
Student Cancel and Re-register
Your student can choose to cancel their subscription by going into My Account > Billing on your site and clicking the Cancel button. This will remove the subscription within Stripe as well. The student can then re-register in the course at the new price plan and subscription.
Manually End Enrollment and Cancel Subscription in Stripe
The Site Owner/Admin can end the enrollment for the student in that specific course, however they will still need to manually cancel the subscription in Stripe. Ending an enrollment in Thinkific does NOT cancel the subscription in Stripe.
Once the subscription is canceled in Stripe, the student can then re-register in the course at the new price plan and subscription in Thinkific.
Learn more here:
Manually Edit the Existing Subscription in Stripe
It is also possible to edit a student's current subscription price in Stripe. This method does not require any changes in Thinkific. It will update the student's subscription to your new price and ensure the subscription is still tied to Thinkific.
Once you create a new price in Thinkific and save that price, it is pushed to Stripe and you will see it as a new Stripe product. The Stripe product name automatically populates with your course or bundle name, so it should be easy to locate in your Stripe account.
To edit the subscription price for existing students, you will need to change the Stripe price associated with their existing subscription. You do not need to delete the subscription in this case, however, you will need to update the subscription for your student. To do this, remove the existing product and add your new Stripe price (the updated price) to the student's existing subscription. See How to Update a Subscription in Stripe (below) for step-by-step instructions.
Please note that updating the Stripe product does not change the course or bundle that a student is enrolled in on Thinkific. The student will continue to be enrolled in the same course or bundle as initially enrolled at the beginning of their subscription, unless they re-register in a different course or bundle themselves.
This is performed entirely in Stripe. Since this is outside of Thinkific, we are not able to assist or troubleshoot this method. We recommend reaching out to Stripe directly if you have any questions.
How to Update a Subscription Plan in Stripe
- Make sure an order has already gone through for your new subscription price. If no one has purchased at the new price yet, you can create an order by using a 100% off coupon and signing up as a test student for your new price.
- Go into your Stripe Dashboard
- Under Billing, click Subscriptions
- Choose the customer whose subscription pricing you want to update
- Click Update subscription
- Under the current pricing plan, click the three dots and choose Remove product
- Click Add product and find the pricing plan you want to change it to
- If you don’t want your pricing change to be pro-rated to the current billing cycle (ie. you don't want your student to be charged right now), click Pro-ration off in the top of the screen
- Click Update subscription in the top right
And that's it! Now your student will be charged at the new price going forward.
With Thinkific Payments
Enrollments and subscriptions are more closely linked in Thinkific Payments than if you are using Stripe. If you would like to issue pricing changes for existing student subscriptions or payment plans please email email@example.com for assistance.