Yes! If you have made changes to your subscription pricing and need to update the price for currently subscribed students, you have 3 options:
- Student Cancel and Re-register
- Manually End Enrollment and Cancel Subscription in Stripe
- Manually Edit the Existing Subscription in Stripe
Student Cancel and Re-register
Your student can choose to cancel their subscription by going into My Account > Billing on your site and clicking the Cancel button. This will remove the subscription within Stripe as well. The student can then re-register in the course at the new price plan and subscription.
Manually End Enrollment and Cancel Subscription in Stripe
The Site Owner/Admin can end the enrollment for the student in that specific course, however they will still need to manually cancel the subscription in Stripe. Ending an enrollment in Thinkific does NOT cancel the subscription in Stripe.
Once the subscription is canceled in Stripe, the student can then re-register in the course at the new price plan and subscription in Thinkific.
Learn more here:
Manually Edit the Existing Subscription in Stripe
It is possible to edit a students current subscription price in Stripe specifically. This method does not require any changes in Thinkific. It will update the student's subscription to your new price and ensure the subscription is still tied to Thinkific.
Once you create a new price in Thinkific and save that price, it is pushed to Stripe and you will see it as a new product. The product name automatically populates with your course or bundle name, so it should be easy to locate in your Stripe account.
To edit the subscription for existing students, it is possible to change the product associated with their existing subscription. You will not delete the subscription in this case. You will need to update the subscription for your student. This involves removing the existing product and adding your new product within the student's existing subscription.
This is performed entirely in Stripe. Since this is outside of Thinkific, we are not able to assist or troubleshoot this method. We recommend reaching out to Stripe directly if you have any questions.
How to Update a Subscription Plan in Stripe
- Make sure an order has already gone through for your new subscription price. If no one has purchased at the new price yet, you can create an order by using a 100% off coupon and signing up as a test student for your new price.
- Go into your Stripe Dashboard
- Under Billing, click Subscriptions
- Choose the customer whose subscription pricing you want to update
- Click Update subscription
- Under the current pricing plan, click the three dots and choose Remove product
- Click Add product and find the pricing plan you want to change it to
- If you don’t want your pricing change to be pro-rated to the current billing cycle (ie. you don't want your student to be charged right now), click Pro-ration off in the top of the screen
- Click Update subscription in the top right
And that's it! Now your student will be charged at the new price going forward.